Big future for John Monash Scholar

28 Nov 2022
University of Queensland mechanical engineering alumnus Nicholas Maurer is heading to Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) to work towards a PhD in Applied Mathematics.

Nicholas Maurer is a recipient of the 2023 General Sir John Monash Scholarship for overseas postgraduate study and plans to focus his research on decarbonised energy systems.

Nicholas Maurer
I’m hoping to learn more about the operational principles of future decarbonised electricity systems and work out how they can better provide for all of us,” Mr Maurer said.

“The John Monash Scholarship provides the opportunity to study what I love at one of the best institutions in the world - something that would have otherwise been impossible.”

“In my time at UQ I was lucky to meet some amazing mentors who have been instrumental in helping me get to this point.”

“I hope with this scholarship I can contribute and give back to others in some meaningful way.”

Head of the School of Mechanical and Mining Engineering Professor Ross McAree said Nicholas was a very deserving winner of the prestigious award.

"General Sir John Monash was, first and foremost, an engineer. He is held by many to be the most significant Australian,” Professor McAree said.

"I am delighted to see Nicholas achieve this success which will enable him to study at MIT and pursue his passion for sustainable energy transition." 

Nicholas was named alongside Germain Tobar as the two UQ recipients of the 2023 General Sir John Monash Scholarship for overseas postgraduate study.

The full list of recipients can be found on the General Sir John Monash Foundation website.